Data communications – (often) the weakest link in mainframe security
- Mainframes are an integral component of large IT infrastructure, handling 68% of the world's production IT workloads. One reason for their popularity is their built-in advanced security features.
- Despite the internal robustness of mainframes, failing to properly secure data communications will create an obvious vulnerability in the mainframe security architecture. The FTP protocol, still commonly in use, transmits data in plain text format – easily readable by anyone who can intercept the communications.
- Exposures increase the risk of breaches, rising Total Cost of Ownership (TCO), potential outages, and compliance issues.
- Without dedicated solutions, secure file transfers are not only difficult to set up but also inefficient - using costly CPU cycles, increasing the operating and administration costs, complexity, time delays, and potential errors.
How does Tectia help you with mainframe security?
Ease of use
- ISPF application for installation and configuration
- Configurable FTP fallback option for controlled and phased deployment
- System-wide and user-specific file transfer profiles
- Listing of MVS data sets as files and folders for easy interactive command line
User and server authentication
- Authentication and access control through SAF calls to RACF, ACF2, and TSS
- User authentication with passwords
- User and server authentication with X.509 certificates
- User and server authentication with public keys
- Logging and auditing using SMF records and Syslogd facilities
Who is Tectia for?
Organizations that get the most out of Tectia SSH Server for IBM z/OS, generally:
- Need to comply with regulations, such as PCI-DSS or FIPS. For example, US Federal agencies, large financial institutions, credit card companies, retailers, insurance companies, etc.
- Require massive file transfers
- Need mainframe security controls to mitigate risk from unauthorized use
- Need seamless transition from FTP to SFTP
Mainframe security resources
mainframe security solution tectia
Tectia SSH Server for IBM z/OS Datasheet
Find more technical details about mainframe security software Tectia. In-depth information about the technical specifications of Tectia.
case study: secure mainframe file transfer
Banking & Finance Institute Secure Mainframe Communications
Learn how one of our customers, an Australian bank and financial services provider with +10k employees, secured their mainframe communications by migrating from FTP to SFTP with Tectia.
The mainframe isn’t going anywhere – how can we secure it?
Mainframes are still a crucial component of IT infrastructures. Without proper mainframe security and mainframe security software, organizations are at risk.