Data communications – (often) the weakest link in mainframe security
- Mainframes are an integral component of large IT infrastructure, handling 68% of the world's production IT workloads. One reason for their popularity is their built-in advanced security features.
- Despite the internal robustness of mainframes, failing to properly secure data communications will create an obvious vulnerability in the mainframe security architecture. The FTP protocol, still commonly in use, transmits data in plain text format – easily readable by anyone who can intercept the communications.
- The TN3270 protocol, also commonly in use, transmits user passwords in plain text format - risking that an intruder could log in to the mainframe.
- Exposures increase the risk of breaches, rising Total Cost of Ownership (TCO), potential outages, and compliance issues.
- Without dedicated solutions, secure file transfers are not only difficult to set up but also inefficient - using costly CPU cycles, increasing the operating and administration costs, complexity, time delays, and potential errors.
How does Tectia help you with mainframe security?
Who is Tectia for?
Organizations that get the most out of Tectia SSH Server for IBM z/OS, generally:
- Need to comply with regulations, such as PCI-DSS or FIPS. For example, US Federal agencies, large financial institutions, credit card companies, retailers, insurance companies, etc.
- Require massive file transfers
- Need mainframe security controls to mitigate risk from unauthorized use
- Need seamless transition from FTP to SFTP
Mainframe security resources
mainframe security solution tectia
Tectia SSH Server for IBM z/OS Datasheet
Find more technical details about mainframe security software Tectia. In-depth information about the technical specifications of Tectia.
case study: secure mainframe file transfer
Banking & Finance Institute Secure Mainframe Communications
Learn how one of our customers, an Australian bank and financial services provider with +10k employees, secured their mainframe communications by migrating from FTP to SFTP with Tectia.
Secure Data Communications for IBM z/OS Mainframe
Learn about the challenges of mainframe security, how to solve them, and understand how to select a mainframe security solution that is the right fit for your organization.
The mainframe isn’t going anywhere – how can we secure it?
Mainframes are still a crucial component of IT infrastructures. Without proper mainframe security and mainframe security software, organizations are at risk.
How to make mainframes quantum-safe?
Quantum computers are getting more powerful, threatening the security of all modern data infrastructures. And mainframes are no exception to this threat.