SSH Communications Security Celebrates 20 Years as Industry Standard
22 Percent Year Over Year Revenue Growth in 2014 Builds on Strength of SSH Communications Security Innovation and Leadership
HELSINKI and WALTHAM, Mass., April 8, 2015 – Today, SSH Communications Security is proud to announce the 20th anniversary of the company and of its Secure Shell (SSH) protocol, which has been universally adopted as the standard for encrypted privileged access traffic the world over. As the modern-day network continues to evolve, accelerated by the growth of the Internet of Things and widespread mobile and cloud adoption, the management of data security is now at the forefront of all businesses, regardless of the vertical in which they operate.
Data security has become even more critical with today’s ever-changing threat landscape, originating from diverse and sophisticated sources both external and internal. Since its inception and subsequent growth as a company, SSH is an innovator in the security sphere, an active contributor in strengthening global industry standards and the recipient of numerous technology awards. Reporting 22 percent revenue growth for 2014, the company’s focus is on extending its heritage as an innovator of cybersecurity solutions that ensure the flow of critical data within its customers’ encrypted networks. For more information, visit https://ssh.com/.
Inventor of the Secure Shell protocol:
- Tatu Ylönen, SSH Communications Security’s founder and chief innovation officer, invented the Secure Shell protocol in 1995. An immediate success, the protocol quickly replaced rlogin, TELNET and rsh protocols as the gold standard for data-in-transit security.
SSH Communications Security has developed and launched a portfolio of security products offering unparalleled control over and visibility into encrypted environments, including:
- Universal SSH Key Manager enables SSH key discovery, proactive key monitoring, compliance remediation and automated centralized management.
- CryptoAuditor provides privileged access control and monitoring for encrypted channels on-premise and in cloud environments.
- Tectia SSH provides enterprises and government organizations with a unified client/server platform to secure their most critical IT processes, offering features, reliability and manageability that are not available with open source solutions.
- Secure Shell HealthCheck isa governance, risk and compliance (GRC) service for the data center that discovers risk and compliance violations related to management, configuration and access controls over Secure Shell in data center environments.
Participation in the security community:
- NIST –As a recognized thought leader,Ylönen co-authored the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) Interagency Report (IR) 7966, providing vital guidance for managing Secure Shell access to sensitive data and offering guidelines that comply with the security controls mandated in NIST 800-53 and the President’s Cyber Security Framework.
- ENISA –SSH Communications Security has completed two phases of a series of competitions designed by the European Union Agency for Network and Information Security (ENISA). The company ranked number one out of the 14 groups from Finland invited to participate in the exercise and fifth out of all competitors.
Appointments to accelerate growth:
- Chief executive officer –Information and communications technology veteran Harri Koponen was appointed CEO of SSH Communications Security last October. Koponen’s extensive experience in operations and sales will help guide SSH as it continues to grow and lead the industry in developing advanced security solutions that businesses utilize to enable, monitor and manage encrypted networks.
- President & CEO, Americas – High tech industry leader Sami Ahvenniemi was named president and CEO for the Americas to drive expansion in this key market.
- Marketing powerhouses – In 2015, the company welcomed Timi Petersen as chief marketing officer and Max Nyman as vice president of global marketing in response to company growth and market forecasts.
- International expansion – In addition to headquarters in its native Finland, the company has opened its Americas offices in the United States, its DACH offices in Germany and its APAC offices in Hong Kong.
SC Magazine Awards Europe – Shortlisted for:
Best Encryption Solution (CryptoAuditor)
Best Cloud Computing Security Solution (CryptoAuditor)
Best Identity Solution (Universal SSH Key Manager)
Info Security Products Guide Global Excellence Awards
Gold – PCI Compliance and Integrated Security (Universal SSH Key Manager)
Gold – Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) Compliance (SSH Information Assurance Platform)
Silver – Unified Threat Management (CryptoAuditor)
Golden Bridge Awards
Gold – Network Security Management
Gold – Encryption Key Management Innovations
- Universal SSH Key Manager – The Washington Post, a European-based national bank, a major US-based financial institution and a major German-based insurance provider are among the many that have selected Universal SSH Key Manager to gain full visibility and life-cycle management for Secure Shell access and identity management. https://www.ssh.com/products/universal-ssh-key-manager/
- CryptoAuditor – A leading global consulting firm, a prominent U.S. enterprise technology company, a major hotel brand and one of Asia’s largest e-commerce sites – among others – have selected CryptoAuditor to monitor and control encrypted traffic. SSH Communications Security also signed CryptoAuditor licensing agreements with one of Europe’s largest cloud and IT services providers, as well as with a leading international securities depository organization based in Europe. https://www.ssh.com/products/cryptoauditor/
Tatu Ylönen, chief innovation officer, SSH Communications Security, said:
“When I invented Secure Shell in 1995, it was to protect communications on my university network from password-sniffing attacks. Since then, the need for innovative solutions that protect data against hackers and malicious insiders has only increased. While security is vital, it should be designed to be as unobtrusive as possible so that daily workflow remains uninterrupted. One of the reasons for the company’s success is that the critical solutions we create don’t just protect data – they maintain the flow of the business.”
Harri Koponen, chief executive officer, SSH Communications Security, said:
“Over the past twenty years, cybersecurity has evolved from a niche issue into a significant business challenge that needs to be addressed directly by every kind of organization, no matter its industry. Our company has thrived over the past two decades by addressing foundational security issues and continuously innovating in the face of dynamically evolving threat vectors. SSH has been able to do this for our customers without interrupting the flow of their business. Our solutions work silently day in and day out to protect their most critical digital assets. While no one can predict what the next 20 years will bring, our mission is to keep challenging the status quo to offer industry-leading encrypted channel monitoring and privileged access management. We will never stop working to address the challenges of tomorrow that threaten the safety of our customers’ data.”
About SSH Communications Security
As the inventor of the SSH protocol, we have a twenty-year history of leading the market in developing advanced security solutions that enable, monitor, and manage encrypted networks. Over 3,000 customers across the globe trust the company’s encryption, access control and encrypted channel monitoring solutions to meet complex compliance requirements, improve their security posture and save on operational costs. SSH Communications Security is headquartered in Helsinki and has offices in the Americas, Europe and Asia. The company’s shares (SSH1V) are quoted on the NASDAQ OMX Helsinki.